Friday, April 27, 2007

Jamie Nelson, Talented Photographer

I was able to grab an interview with Jamie Nelson the photographer published in popular magazines Zink, Linie De Luxe, Plaza, and Highlights. Her work is also shown in art galleries across the globe.

I was absolutely in love with her pictures the first time I glanced upon them.

She uses bold color and graphics that really pop out at the viewer. Vivid is a great word to describe her art, and yes it is much more art than fashion, it's the kind of pictures you would hang up on a wall to enjoy daily.

Her work is very distinct as quoted by Anti-mag "Well, I dare say she is pushing the envelope in that genre of photography and she's doing it very well." Another great article at

http://www.anti-mag.com/jamienelson.htm

I hope you enjoy the article as much as I do.

What are your inspirations?

Jamie: I have never been very inspired by other photographers. I have always drawn inspiration from life experiences and my deep urges to share my passion and vision with people.
I am mostly inspired on the day of the shoot when the entire creative team pulls together to create.
I am inspired by the chaos of shoot days and the beauty of the final result that is created by several artists.

When did you realize you wanted to do what you're currently doing and when did you begin?

Jamie: I was in my senior year of high school, getting ready to apply to Stanford for the pre-med program.
Ha ha, thank god that didn't happen!
I took an art class and fell in love with photography and completely changed my direction.

What are your favorite items to use in your art?

Jamie: I enjoy bold, colorful clothing that makes a graphic statement and transforms the model.
However, lately I have been obsessed with shooting beauty and cosmetics.
In the same sense, I am inspired by bold, colorful makeup that creates graphic statements on the model and transforms her.

Do you have any favorite products or equipment you use when creating your art?

Jamie: I really don't like to stress importance on equipment.
It has never been about what type of equipment I use.
I was always the poor kid in school with the junkiest camera.
Everyone likes to ask this question, but really, there is no special magical equipment in my opinion.

Are you a part of any artist communities online or offline?

Jamie: My favorite online community lately has been www.iqons.com.
There are some really amazing talents on there.

Do you have a favorite piece that you have photographed?

Jamie: I enjoy shooting with taxidermy animals for some reason.
It was a phase I went through for awhile.

They have been frozen in time with their one last movement or action in life.
They are still, quiet, yet bold. They seem to be an overall metaphor for my imagery.
I would like my models & imagery to hold the same tranquility and timelessness.

What themes do you have in your art?

Jamie:The work tends to be bold- whether colorful or colorless, there is always an element of boldness.
Each image is glossy and perfected, even if the content is rough, raw, or grungy.
I carry a lot of vintage aesthetic into each image- a juxtaposition of several eras of time that inspire me.

Do you see yourself moving in any new directions?

Jamie: I see myself moving into the commercial field quickly.
After I gain success in advertising campaigns, and top magazines, I'd love to be able to settle down a bit and focus on going back in the fine art direction.

Where can people view and or buy your work?

Jamie:My work is usually featured in internationally distributed magazines carried at Barnes & Nobles and Border's. Although some are obscure foreign magazines that may be difficult to find.
I also am doing more art shows locally and internationally. The most current will be one in Rome in May.

What experiences or training has helped you grow as an artist?

Jamie: There are so many elements that have assisted my growth over the years.
School was very important to develop the technical aspect of my photography.
Having a solid team of other creatives around me as really made the artistic vision and flow easier to perfect.

Shooting consistently and practicing always teaches me something new.
When shoots go horribly wrong, I love it and get excited- I always learn so much from those ones!

Did you attend School or take any classes to get started?

Jamie: Yes, I went to Brooks Institute of Photography in CA for 4 years.
I also took an art class in High School, which initially piqued my interest for photography.

What advice would you give to beginner photographers?

Jamie: Develop your own style. Stay true to it. Try to get your work out to as many people as possible.
Be persistent. Be willing to make sacrifices for what you want

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home